"Today we made the beginning in the ground breaking for our new potter's house, which will be built toward the Monocacy, westward from the Gemein and Choir Houses, in such a way that a row of still needed shops can be added later in a row..."
July 30, 17xx?
The potter was one of early Bethlehem's most important craftsmen. He made cups, plates, bowls, and other necessities for everyday life out of red clay. His skills also supplied roof tiles for buildings and tiles for tile stoves used to heat buildings.
At first Moravian potters worked on the south side of the Lehigh River. In 1749, they built the first pottery in Bethlehem at this location. The pottery operation ended here in 1767 when the equipment was moved to another site. Thereafter, the building was used by the stocking weaver and clothmatker and also housed the widowers of the community.
Around 1900, the former pottery was partially demolished and replaced by brownstown buildings. These brownstones were demolished in the 1960s, leaving only one wall of the original pottery still standing.
[Marker drawing caption]
These redware pieces made in Bethlehem were found during archaeological excavations of the pottery.
[Marker is damaged]