This part of Angelina County has long been called Red Land, or Redland, for the red soil ridge that forms the center of the community. In 1846, Thomas R. Walker moved into the area from North Carolina. In 1851, he wed Emily Z. Briscoe, and the couple farmed and reared their children on their homestead. Walker served as county sheriff and county judge, and was a member of the local masonic lodge.
Upon his death in 1877, Walker was buried in this cemetery, which had been established before he purchased the land in 1858. Originally known as Red Land cemetery, this burial ground was in use for decades before Walker was buried here. One early marked grave is that of Nathaniel S. Abney (d. 1855), the young son of settler Paul C. Abney.
In March 1892, Walker's widow deeded part of the cemetery land to community trustees. At this same time, J. W. Chamblee deeded another portion, making it a three-acre plot. Additional acreage was acquired in the 20th century, increasing the burial ground to its current size.
Maintained by a cemetery association, the Tom Walker cemetery, as it is known today, holds the history of this early east Texas community and its people.