— Dinwiddie County —In 1911 a group of Dinwiddie County's African-American residents established the Rocky Branch School in Sutherland. The school was a typical two-room schoolhouse. It had been moved from original location across from Ocran Methodist Church on U.S. Route 460 about two miles east of this site. Reading, writing and arithmetic were taught in grades one through seven. Each day school began with a short devotion. Students were also required to recite Bible verses and sing patriotic and gospel songs daily.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail?|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 9:16am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 271549 N 4119013|
|Decimal Degrees||37.18965000, -77.57371667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 11.379', W 77° 34.423'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 11' 22.74" N, 77° 34' 25.38" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 5813-6005 State Rte 636, Sutherland VA 23885, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|