Each night he left his house to climb the 27 stairs and 6 rung iron ladder to the top of the lighthouse. And he did this three times a night to refill the oil that kept the light burning and the ships safe.
This is the house of the Keeper of the Light, built in 1827, just after the Concord Point Lighthouse was built. The same man who built the lighthouse, John Donohoo, also built the house. The original plans called for a solid, simple house 34 feet by 20 feet with an attached kitchen.
All of the original house but the kitchen still stands. Though many changes have taken place since 1827. In 1884 an additional story was added to the house. At other times interior changes and the addition of outbuildings altered the original house.
In 1920, when the lighthouse became automated with electricity, the house was sold and became a private home. Later, the home was turned into a restaurant with a dance hall. In 1988, the State of Maryland purchased the house and gave it to the City of Havre de Grace. The Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse began restoring the house in 1990.
Keepers of the Light.Since 1827, when the Concord Point Lighthouse was commissioned, many different Keepers ensured that the light burned bright. The first Keeper of the Light was John O'Neill who served until his death in 1838. O'Neill was a town hero who fought bravely against British ships when they attacked Havre de Grace on May 3, 1813. O'Neill served as Havre de Grace town commissioner from 1829 to 1835. John O'Neill's descendants continued to live in the lighthouse and several served as Keepers until the lighthouse became automated in 1920.