1891-1957Education was important to settlers in San Benito County, who would start a school with as few as five pupils, a place to hold class and a teacher. Early schools were placed 'about 5 miles apart' because the students had to travel on foot or on horseback. Often built by subscriptions from neighboring settlers, schools such as this served as a community center when class was not in session. This structure served as a physical assurance to people who had been through tough times that their children would have a better life. Its humble appearance belies the fact that the quality of life at Vineyard School was competitive. Improvements in transportation and consolidation of population doomed most of the small country schools, and the county contracted with the Cienega District for education of Vineyard School's pupils in 1958-59.
|Series||This marker is part of the E Clampus Vitus series|
|Placed By||Monterey Viejo Chapter 1846, Mountain Charlie Chapter 1850, and El Viceroy Marquez de Branciforte Chapter 1797 of E Clampus Vitus|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 7:59pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 643047 N 4069233|
|Decimal Degrees||36.75808333, -121.39741667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 45.485', W 121° 23.845'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 45' 29.10" N, 121° 23' 50.70" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||408, 831|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 9000-9472 Cienega Rd, Hollister CA 95023, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.