Seven sites in downtown Richmond have been locations for water-powered industry:
HOLLYWOOD: A flour mill was operating by 1800. Canal water powered a paper mill beginning in 1887, and a 2,100 kilowatt hydroelectric plant from 1940 to 1972. River water powered a City hydroelectric plant until 1986.
TREDEGAR: Canal water powered a flour mill by 1801, the Armory by 1802, and Tredegar Iron Works beginning in 1837.
BASIN RACE: Basin water supplied a mill race which powered a paper mill beginning in 1834.
GALLEGO MILLS: Basin water powered flour mills beginning in 1834.
HAXALL MILLS: River water powered Ross's Mill by 1788. Haxall Canal water powered flour mills from 1809 to 1894, and an 8,800 kilowatt hydroelectric plant from 1901 to 1968.
BELLE ISLE: River water powered an iron works by 1848, and filled a basin which powered a 3,000 kilowatt hydroelectric plant from 1914 to 1965.
MANCHESTER: Manchester Mill Canal was open by 1804, and powered a series of mills: in 1895, two paper mills, acorn mill, and a flour mill; and from 1925 to 1965 a 1,000 kilowatt hydroelectric plant.