Hesperia, the name given to the Congdon's yacht, was a family name. Registered as a yacht in Lloyd's Register of American Yachts, 1911, the Hesperia was constructed of wood with a raised deck design. The boat was powered by an internal combustion engine (gasoline) with a four stroke, six cycle operation. The yacht had an overall length of 53 feet, a water line length of 51 feet, and a breath of 12 feet. The yacht needed a 6 foot draft (water clearance). The Hesperia burned in a refueling accident in 1916 and was never repaired.
Originally, the boat house was to be located in the mouth of Tischer Creek on the west side of the property. Instead, it was built at the mouth of Bent Brook. Both the dock and pier were listed on the navigational maps of Lake Superior in the early 20th century. That was necessary because both the dock and pier had lights. The pier was originally "L" shaped.