circa 1815Jonathan Wright (1782-1855) and his wife Mary Bateman Wright (1787-1866) moved with their five children from Menallen, Adams County, Pennsylvania, in 1814 and built this Federal style house. Using skills acquired from his father, Joel Wright, a surveyor who platted the city of Columbus, Jonathan platted the village of "Springborough," named for the many springs in the vicinity. The Wright family established and operated a woolen factory, two flour mills, a general store, and a 320-acre farm in the Springboro area. The Wrights were active members of the Society of Friends (Quakers) and strongly opposed slavery. The house was a station on the Underground Railroad, offering assistance to runaway slaves during their flight to freedom. Many members of the Wright family, including Jonathan, Mary, and four of their children, are buried in the Friends Cemetery on nearby Factory Road.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||City of Springboro Historical Commission and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 at 8:26am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 737598 N 4381851|
|Decimal Degrees||39.55346667, -84.23463333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 33.208', W 84° 14.078'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 33' 12.48" N, 84° 14' 4.68" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||513, 937|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 80 W State St, Springboro OH 45066, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.