In the mid-1860s, shortly after the Civil War, Jacob Peter "Jake" Schneider (1852-1925) began working in William Brueggerhoff's general mercantile store, and part-time as a legislative page in the Capitol. About 1870, he and his mother, Margarita Schneider, opened a store on the corner across the street (north). Brueggerhoff helped stock the enterprise in payment of a debt. In 1873, as the business expanded, Schneider built this two-story brick structure, and converted the older building into storage space, called the "Flour House". The Schneider residence was also across the street.
The basement of the Schneider store contained meats, vats of wine and whiskey, and molding cheeses, and the upper two stories housed large stocks of food and clothing. Schneider also operated a wagon yard south and west of the store, complete with two camp houses for travelers. After Schneider's death the store was managed by a son, F. Ralph Schneider, who added a saloon in the rear of the building after the repeal of prohibition in 1933. Business operations ceased in 1935, and the structure has since housed electrical and lumber companies, and an art gallery. It has been damaged twice by fire in recent years, and is still owned by the Schneider family.