Established in 1867 as a final resting place for William Bonner, Dr. John Bonner, and their descendants. The two brothers, natives of South Carolina, came to Texas in the early 1850s, settling in Freestone County. Here they amassed thousands of acres of land which they developed into great cotton plantations.
Patriarch of the Texas Bonners was William Bonner (1783-1877), who started his career as a Waggoner, with a modest education and no financial help, he piloted his Texas land investments into a fortune.
A Veteran of the War of 1812, he married Ann Lee Joel in 1816. Of their eleven children, seven chose to live in this area. William Bonner was a staunch Presbyterian who was known for his shrewd judgment, unusual energy, humor, and common sense.
John Bonner (1794-1879) was one of three physicians among the five Bonner brothers. A person of great intelligence, he scorned sham and ignorance. He and his wife Eliza (Williams) had nine children, seven of whom moved to Freestone County with them.
Among the five generations of Bonners interred here are teachers, doctors, lawyers, merchants, and farmers, for over a century the family has figured prominently in the development of Freestone County.