Ruthville High SchoolSchools were precious to a community denied education for centuries. Following the Civil War one and two-room schools for "colored" children were established around the county. It was here in Ruthville, however, that a commitment to learning first provided children with more than a basic education. Churches and benevolent societies around the country raised money to build this three-room manual training school in 1911. By 1923 a faculty of five teachers prepared girls to be homemakers and boys to be farmers in a school that had expanded to six rooms. The first brick high school was constructed in 1930 with a grant from the Rosenwald Fund after local residents had raised 27 percent of the cost of its construction.
|Series||This marker is part of the Rosenwald Schools series|
|Placed By||Charles City County, Waste Management|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 1:38pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 319131 N 4137595|
|Decimal Degrees||37.36746667, -77.04253333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 22.048', W 77° 2.552'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 22' 2.88" N, 77° 2' 33.12" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 13120 The Glebe Ln, Charles City VA 23030, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.