Charles City County, VirginiaThese communities were established on opposite banks of Morris Creek , earlier known as Tanks Pasbye hayes the Indian name, Moyses Creek after Theodore Moyses who patented land there, and as Moses Creek. Before 1720 this area was part of James City County and Wallingford Parish. During the 1700s several homes of the Dancy family stood nearby. Micah Church (est. 1850) and the post office at Apperson's Store (1850-71), later the store of Graham Walker, Sr., were also located in this area. Mt. Zion Church moved here in the 1880s from a location along present-day Route 5 and the present structure was erected on the site of El Bethel Methodist Church. Local schools included Walkers and Mt. Zion. The surviving schoolhouse was built in 1915 through the efforts of the Home Mission Society. A landing on the Chickahominy River was known as Little Egypt. Prominent homes are located north of Morris Creek and include Eagles Nest, Cary Hill, Forest Level and Mt. Airy, a seat of the Southall family. South of Morris Creek were located Flowery Hill, Haystack and Pigs Point.
|Placed By||Charles City County|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, October 24th, 2014 at 7:56am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 329176 N 4132882|
|Decimal Degrees||37.32691667, -76.92806667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 19.615', W 76° 55.684'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 19' 36.90" N, 76° 55' 41.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 11621-11861 State Rte 623, Charles City VA 23030, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.