Charles City County, VirginiaThis community was the site of a Quaker settlement in the eighteenth century and the Weyanoke Quaker Meeting House and graveyard. The meetinghouse was the Upper Quarter gathering place for the Yearly Meeting of Virginia Quaker. The area has since become the center for the Chickahominy Tribal community. Landmarks have included Ladd's Store, Charles City Poor House, Hopewell Methodist Protestant Church (1835-72) and the home of Rev. John Bowry, the birth site of missionary Lott Cary. Area homes include Willow Banks and Portobello, a home of the Ladd family. One prominent local minister, Rev. D. W. Cotman, pastored three churches in this vicinity. Residents of the neighborhood established Cedar Grove Church (est. 1874) and Samaria , first established in 1845 and reorganized in 1901 as the church of the Chickahominy Indian Tribe. The community was served by three schools, Alpine, Bethel and Samaria , and Adkins Store, earlier known as Binn's Store. The area was briefly served by the Thera post office.
|Placed By||Charles City County|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, September 15th, 2014 at 4:24am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 314362 N 4140634|
|Decimal Degrees||37.39390000, -77.09711667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 23.634', W 77° 5.827'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 23' 38.04" N, 77° 5' 49.62" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 9548-9998 State Rte 602, Charles City VA 23030, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.