Until modern medicine, contagious diseases afflicted both young and old and many died at a young age.
In 1875, there were fifteen physicians in Kern County, which had a widely scattered population of approximately 2,700 people. These fifteen doctors and the many that followed could be summoned day or night, during floods and storms, to the bedside of those in need.
There were many times when all a doctor could do for the suffering patient was to relieve pain, bind up wounds, splint broken bones, perform minor surgical procedures, and on occasion, comfort the dying.
H.L. "Jack" Goforth donated this building in 1957. It may have originally been a residence near the town of McKittrick in western Kern County.