This is the site of Wilkes County Academy, built in 1797. The Academy was authorized by the Legislature in 1783, one of the first public schools charted by the State of Georgia. Commissioners were: Stephen Heard, Micajah Williamson, Robert Harper, Daniel Coleman, and Zachariah Lamar. Samuel Blackburn was the first teacher. Classes were held in rented houses until 1797, when, with funds raised by public subscription, a commodious two story brick building was erected for an Academy and Church. The Academy was in active use until 1824, when it was torn down and the school removed to a location nearer the business section of Washington.