Arrival on Sept. 21, 1874, of two brothers of Holy Cross
Doyle FarmJames Doyle (1795?-1866). A native of Ireland, came to Texas in 1835. He was a stonemason, and in 1853 had charge of part of the work on the limestone Capitol being built in Austin. Also in 1853, he bought 498 acres of land and opened a farm at this site. His devout widow, Mary Doyle (d. 1871), in 1872 deeded 398 acres of the farm to Father Edward Sorin, Superior General of the Congregation of the Holy Cross, Notre Dame University, for "the establishment of a college, school, or other educational institution.
St. Edward's was not to open for several years, but Father Sorin sent Brother John of the Cross (Peter) Hanratty and Brother Maximus (Eugene) Petit to put the farm to use while school plans were pending. Arriving Sept. 21, 1874, they found a large dwelling house and other facilities, and gradually acquired livestock and tools. For years, Doyle Farm furnished food for St. Edward's staff and students, and later it was also to fund building programs. Brother Maximus lived out his days here. This marker stands near his grave. Since 1874 a great university has developed out of the gift of Mrs. Doyle and the work of the pioneering brothers of Holy Cross.