In the 1850s Dr. George T. Boardman (d.1884) came to Austin to practice dentistry. He developed a new process to fill teeth and helped incorporate the American Dental College. He bought this property in 1855 from early Austin merchant John Bremond. The land was part of the original city plat of Austin.
Dr. Boardman erected this two-story residence with Victorian styling about 1880. After his widow Fannie sold the structure in 1906, it changed owners several times, finally becoming an apartment house.
Walter Prescott (1888-1963) and Jane (Oliphant) Webb (1889-1960) purchased the home in 1925. At that time Webb served as history instructor at the University of Texas and remained there for 45 years except for visiting professorships. Dr Webb became internationally known as an author and historian, concentrating on Texas and southwestern topics. He served as president of the American Historical Association in 1958. Mrs. Webb, a descendant of pioneer Texans and leader in patriotic groups, served as president general of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, 1943-45. Mrs. Webb's father William J. Oliphant, an early Austin photographer, lived in the house. After Mrs. Webb's death the home was deeded to her daughter Mildred (Mrs. William B. Bugg).