Circuit riders began in 1852 to hold religious services in this area. In 1869, the Texas Synod of the Lutheran church sent Pastor F. Ernst to preach to the local Lutherans, and on May 31, 1874, a congregational constitution was adopted under the guidance of Pastor F. Jesse. William Bohls, a prominent landowner, donated five acres of land for a church building and cemetery. On June 20, 1875, a spired frame sanctuary was dedicated. A brick edifice was built in 1909, and after it burned in 1928, this structure was erected.