The Rev. William M. Baker and five charter members organized the First Presbyterian Church of Austin on May 26, 1850. Abner H. Cook, future designer of the Governor's Mansion, was among the charter members and was elected a ruling elder. In 1851, members erected a wood frame building on two lots at this site, which Cook donated to the church. The members enlarged the structure in 1855, and in 1874 agreed to construct a stone building. They built the first floor and met there until funding was available to complete the edifice in 1890. With the later addition of an annex and tower, it served until 1960, when the congregation moved to a site in north central Austin. They relocated to northwest Austin in 1978.