Charles Klein bought house from F. Huster, 1868. Leased it to German-American Ladies College (1873-90). Texas German and English Academy (1880-81) and deeded it, 1882, to daughter, Caroline (1834-19), widow of John Wahrenberger (1812-64). Early Austin settler. As a semi-private residence boarders included Pat Neff (1871-52), Governor of Texas (1921-25) and Sam Rayburn (1882-61), speaker of U.S. house of representatives.
House was the private home (about 1910-1947) of the Wahrenberger family.
A significant example of 19th century architectural evolution. This house was built in a simple vernacular Greek revival style in 1867 , by Frederich Huster. A porch and second story in rear were added about 1873. Victorian phase began 1887, with attachment of metal cornices and pediment (removed 1960); ended with addition of the classical revival portico and a sleeping porch in 1916. Porch was dismantled and facade altered 1946 property is maintained by Revell & Co. and owned by a Wahrenberger heir.