On this site, in 1885, James Roosevelt, businessman and country gentleman of Hyde Park, New york, built the cottage shown below. The Cottage was intended to be a summer retreat for his wife, Sara Delano, and their son Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Franklin spent many of his boyhood summers at this cottage. Miss Eleanor Roosevelt was a guest here in 1904. In 1905, Franklin and Eleanor were married.
In 1907, Mrs. Sara Roosevelt purchased the Kuhn cottage and gave it to the married couple. The Kuhn cottage became the now known Roosevelt Cottage. The cottage which stood here was removed in 1951.