During their childhood, William Pinkney and Amanda Boydston took part in a migration of Americans heading west to seek land, gold and other opportunities in the western states shortly after the end of the Civil War.
In 1898, William married Amanda, a widow with two young daughters. Two years later, the young couple bought this house, which was originally located at 812 H Street.
William, born in South Carolina, came to Bakersfield in 1884 with his parents to pick cotton on a one year contract. William later worked wrangling cattle, as a hod carrier and for the City of Bakersfield's Streets Department.
Amanda, born in Kansas near the Oregon and Santa Fe Trails, originally settled in the San Gabriel Valley before moving to Bakersfield. Amanda was a member the Golden West Women's Club and the International Order of Twelve Knights and the Daughters of Tabor.
When he retired, Mr. Pinkney split his time between this house and a small ranch in the mountains outside of Lorraine, California. Mr. Pinkney died on March 31, 1954.
Hynda Randolph, William and Amanda Pinkney's daughter, donated this house to the museum in 1964.