Citizens of Red Wing have long sought convenient access to the summit of Mt. La Grange (Barn Bluff) to enjoy the impressive view of the Mississippi valley.
In 1889 local civic leader C.C. Webster promoted the construction of a path up the west face of the bluff. Built with volunteer labor, it became known as Webster's Way.
In 1908 members of the Civic League under the leadership of A.W. Pratt, organized a community group to rebuild the then long-neglected pathway. For several years thereafter high school seniors, under the supervision of George H. Cook, held an annual half-day work holiday to maintain the path.
In 1929 the Red Wing Kiwanis Club sponsored the building of a concrete stairway along Webster's Way to the crest. To provide the funds, local citizens purchased steps inscribed with their names.
With the dedication August 24, 1929 by Gov. Theo. Christianson, the Kiwanis stairway became a point of great interest in the area.
Building of the Eisenhower Bridge in 1959 resulted in the removal of much of the stairway. The steps were reset in 1975-6 along the southeast side of the bluff.
Beginning at this point, a pathway again provides means of ascent to the top of one of Red Wing's historic landmarks.