Rock Hill Buggy CompanyIn 1886 A.D. Holler, who had long owned a wagon and buggy shop in Rock Hill, founded Holler and Anderson Buggy Company with his son-in-law John Gary Anderson (1861-1937). Anderson built a factory here in 1892, with separate blacksmith, woodwork, trim, and paint shops. Renamed Rock Hill Buggy Company, it was known for quality materials and craftsmanship. By 1900 it was an industry leader and sold 6,000 buggies a year.
Anderson Motor CompanyThe firm became Anderson Motor Company and began building automobiles in 1916. Its first cars were the Anderson Six, a 6-passenger touring car, and the Roadster, a 3-passenger convertible. By 1923 there were 8 brightly-colored luxury cars with innovations such as the first floor dimmer switch. At its peak in 1923 the factory made 35 cars a day. It built the last Anderson in 1924 and closed in 1926. Fewer than a dozen Anderson automobiles still survive.