McCorkle-Fewell-Long HouseThis two-story frame house with central hall was a typical piedmont farmhouse when built, probably by Stephen McCorkle prior to 1821. Samuel M. Fewell significantly altered the house during his ownership 1867-1890. In 1906 the house was purchased and renovated by Alexander Long. In 1893 some of the land here was given to the state for the development of Winthrop College.
Oakland Rock Hill Land and Town Site Company, incorporated in 1890, bought and sold land here. Developing the area known as Oakland were company founders William L. Roddy, James M. Cherry, Richard T. Fewell, W. Blackburn Wilson, Jr., and subsequent associates. The location of Winthrop in Oakland was assured when the company conveyed 30.5 acres to the state in 1893 for the sum of $5. The college opened in 1894.