This house contains the foundation, chimney, and logs from an earlier log cabin built on this site by Beverly pioneer Edward Hart. A son of John Hart, a signer of the Declaration of the Independence from New Jersey, Edward relocated here in 1788 following service in the Revolutionary War. A man of many talents, he built the original log courthouse and jail and operated an ordinary, a cooper's shop, a carpenter's shop and a tannery.
In 1855 Edwin D. Chenoweth built this existing house around the remains of Edward Hart's log cabin. Hugh Hart, Edward's nephew, purchased the house from Chenoweth and lived here a short time. Hugh Hart and Edwin Chenoweth both moved to Kansas, where they served the Union cause during the Civil War.
Dr. George W. Yokum, a local historian, purchased the home and lived here during the Civil War. He built the north addition to the house for use as his medical office and library. In 1861, Dr. Yokum spent three months at the federal prison Camp Carlisle in Wheeling for treating Confederate soldiers after the Battle of Rich Mountain.
On June 16, 1935 a marble marker was erected at the gravesite of Edward Hart in the Beverly Cemetery.
This two-story Federal style house has a standing seam metal roof with birds and a 6/6 window style. The main entrance has a paneled entrance door with sidelights and flat transom with scroll bracket pilasters between. The second entrance has similar door with flat, two-pane transom.