John Earle owned the original log home situated on this property. He operated a mill on Files Creek, possibly built by Jacob Westfall near the original Westfall fort.
In 1879, Earle sold this property, as well as the larger adjoining property with mill, to Isaac, Jr., Eli, and Daniel Baker, the sons of Isaac Baker, Sr. The mill was at times both a grist mill and a sawmill. The mill burned in 1925.
Isaac Baker, Jr. built the present house around 1900 after the log house burned. He was a miller and an extensive landowner in Beverly. His son Stark, who was also a miller, later lived in the house.
Stark L. Baker was a member of the committee formed in 1899 to resolve the heated conflict between Beverly and Elkins over the county seat. He served in the West Virginia State Senate from 1898 to 1906.
This two-story, cross-shaped house is a simple Queen Anne style, sometimes called "Princess Anne". It has German siding with rake and corner boards and 1/1 window style. Its front facade is to the north with scrollwork ornamentation.