This lot, originally part of the James Westfall plantation, was used as a public playground prior to the chartering of Beverly in 1790. In 1813, country plans were to use this lot as the site for the new jail. Adam Myers, owner of the Valley House Hotel, situated on the back part of the lot, objected. Mr. Myers then sold the lot adjoining the square's northern boundary to the county for the new jail, with the stipulation that the Square in front of his hotel remain for public use and never be built upon. Following many attempts to use the lot for other purposes, the West Virginia Supreme Court ruled in 1896 that the Square "must perpetually remain for the use of the public."
"Project Town Square" was coordinated by the Beverly Woman's Club, with assistance from many local sources and a grant from the Partners in Community Development. The wrought iron fence surrounding the Square was donated by the Randolph County Historical Society and was originally used in Beverly in the late 1800s.