This structure, built by William Bratton about 1770, is one of the oldest in York County. The original log house was a two-story home. The timber frame wing at the back of the house was added later. The home was built on the Lincoln Road, sometimes listed as the Armstrong Ford Road. The wide ditch running in front of the house is the remnant of that road which was a major highway during the 18th century.
Bratton was a leading military figure in the southern campaigns of the American Revolution, becoming a colonel during the war and commanding men from the immediate area, known as Bratton's Regiment. After the war and into the 1790s, William and his wife Martha operated an "ordinary," or tavern, in their home. Here travelers obtained refreshments, meals and lodging while hearing and discussing the latest news.
William died in 1815, followed by Martha in 1816. Their son, Dr. John Simpson Bratton, remodeled the house in 1839 for use as a home, and a new wing was added for use as a school by George and Catherine Ladd. This school was called Brattonsville Female Seminary.