Here in the 1760's settled the brothers, William, Robert, and Hugh Bratton, who fought in the Revolutionary War. One-quarter mile east of here at James Williamson's was fought the Battle of Williamson's Plantation on July 12, 1780. The outnumbered patriot militia led by Col. William Bratton and Capt. John McClure surprised and defeated a superior force of British troops commanded by Capt. Christian Houk, who was killed during the fighting. In the subsequent rout and pursuit, Col. Bratton's house became the scene of action. This was the first check to the British after the fall of Charleston.
Revolutionary House built in by Col. William Bratton, c. 1776, with subsequent additions and renovations. Homestead built by his son, Dr. John S. Bratton, 1823-26, with subsequent additions. Brick House built in 1843 by Dr. John S. Bratton. Brattonsville Post Office here 1818-1852. Site of Brattonsville Female Seminary c. 1840 - c. 1860.