Named in memory of General Nash of North Carolina, who fell at Germantown, Pennsylvania, October 4, 1777, in the War of the Revolution.
Erected on the bluff near this location by the pioneers of the Cumberland settlement in the year 1780, as a central fort of defense against Indian attacks.
Was the scene of many noted historical events, especially the Indian attack of April 2, 1781, known as
"The Battle of the Bluff."
This representation of the original fort was built by appropriations from the State of Tennessee, the County of Davidson and the City of Nashville through the patriotic work of the Tennessee Society Daughters of the American Revolution and the persevering efforts of the four Nashville Chapters: Viz: Cumberland, General James Robertson, Campbell, and Colonel Thomas McCrory.
Erected in 1930, - the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the settlement of what now is the City of Nashville.