Hoover's Gap, TN, June 24, 1863. The 18th Indiana Battery, commanded by Capt. Eli Lilly, dislodged one Confederate artillery piece and forced the Confederate batteries to change position. The battery, along with Wilder's Brigade, did considerable damage to the advancing Confederate infantry with double rounds of canister. This battle opened middle TN to the Union forces, resulting in the advance of the Union Army to Chattanooga and Georgia.
The battery was formed in Indianapolis, IN. In 1862 by Capt. Eli Lilly. The 18th Indiana Battery was the largest battery in the Army of the Cumberland comprised of six 3 inch ordnance rifles and 4 mountain howitzers. The battery served in KY, TN,GA an AL. This plaque is dedicated to the memory of the men of the 18th Indiana Battery and to all American soldiers who fought on this site.