In 1916, the Dixie Paper Company opened a paper mill in the building of the closed Brown's Island electric plant. By 1919, the mill was taken over by Albemarle Paper Company, which had been operating a paper mill just upriver at Hollywood since 1887. The Brown's Island mill made kraft paper and operated until 1967. The mill buildings filled the island, with the last pulled down in 1978.
In 1957, Albemarle Paper purchased the Tredegar Iron Works property. By then it had acquired most of Gamble's Hill, and built its headquarters there, occupying them in 1962. In 1962, the company also bought the Ethyl Corporation of Delaware, a firm much larger than itself, and Albemarle Paper adopted the name Ethyl Corporation. In 1969, Ethyl sold the Hollywood paper plant to the James River Corporation, which is headquartered there.
Two Pulleys and a Gear
Preserved here from the paper mill's machinery are a breaker beater driven pulley (the large one), a floor beater driven pulley, and a cast core mortise gear.