Col. John Jameson (1751-1810) owned land nearby. He served as the Culpeper County court clerk (1772-1810) and a captain in the Culpeper Minute Men battalion during the Revolutionary War. In Sept. 1780, while serving under Gen. Benedict Arnold in New York, Jameson following military protocol initially sent Arnold's co-conspirator, Maj. John Andr? to Arnold and forwarded suspicious documents found on Andr? to Gen. George Washington. Jameson requested Andr?'s return after being swayed by Maj. Benjamin Tallmadge. Arnold the traitor escaped, but Andr? was hanged.
Jameson's property nearby, during the Civil War, became a burial ground for at least 350 soldiers, mostly Confederates, who died in Culpeper hospitals, In 1881, their remains were re-interred at -Citizens' Cemetery (now Fairview Cemetery) in a mass grave marked by an 18-foot obelisk,