An example of Neo-classical architecture with Renaissance exterior elements, the Codington County Courthouse was built by Gray Construction under the direction of architects Freed and Perkins & McWayne. It cost $375,000.00 and was dedicated in June 1929 by County Commissioners Vern G. Wolheter, James E. Kiley, R. S. Lockhart, Thomas M. Spartz, Col. Lee Stover, Ivar Tvinde, and Patrick Walsh.
Richly finished in marble and gold leaf, the interior is one of the most ornate of any courthouse in the state. The rotunda is the most striking interior feature, with its intricate colored glass dome. Nearby are two large murals, one representing "Justice and Power" and the other "Wisdom and Mercy," painted by Vincent Aderente of New York City.
The county's first permanent courthouse was also located on this site. That brick and stone building, with its imposing entrance tower, was constructed in 1883-1884 but was later torn down. Before it was built, the business of county government was conducted at various locations in the county, including Goss Hall and a Heegard and Company building, both after October 1878.
Before that the county seat was at Kampeska, near the outlet of the Big Sioux River at Lake Kampeska beginning on August 7, 1878. The county was first organized on July 19, 1878 when territorial governor William A. Howard appointed three commissioners. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior.