The first fortifications at Camden were constructed in March and April, 1780, to protect the town's powder magazine from surprise attack by Loyalists. When British forces under Lord Cornwallis occupied the town on June 1, they strengthened the magazine's fortifications by did not construct additional defenses until after the Battle of Camden.
"A retrenchment was thrown up round the Fail with Abbatis,...another work and Abbatis in form of a half Moon was also thrown up ner the road... and a new work just begun at the lower end of the Town."
Report of American spy
In November, an American spy reported that fortification was proceeding rapidly. When completed, the fortifications consisted of four redoubts, one at each corner of the town, a wooden palisade around the town, fortifications around and east of the jail, and additional defensive works at the Kershaw house, and ferry house on the Wateree River.
The fortifications secured Camden from attack until the British evacuated the town in May 1781.