Historic Village of HewittFounded in 1766 by Peter Hasenclever, the Long Pond Ironworks was run by a succession of famous ironmasters, including Robert Erskine, Martin J. Ryerson and Abraham S. Hewitt. The Long Pond furnace, forge and supporting village contributed to the war efforts during the American Revolution, The War of 1812 and the Civil War. As at many other iron-producing sites in the Highlands, the furnace operation in the Long Pond ended in the 1880's when the iron industry's western migration was complete.
|Placed By||The Friends of Long Pond Ironworks, The North Jersey District Water Supply Commission and The Hackensack Water Company|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 6:06pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 557771 N 4554745|
|Decimal Degrees||41.14196667, -74.31160000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 8.518', W 74° 18.696'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 8' 31.08" N, 74° 18' 41.76" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1269-1505 Greenwood Lake Turnpike, West Milford NJ 07421, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.