This county, created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 14 & 24, 1827, is named for Charles Harris, eminent Savannah jurist. Born in England and educated in France, he served Savannah as Alderman or Mayor for 20 years, refusing higher offices. The first Court House was built in 1831 and the present one in 1908. First election was held in Feb. 1828. First county officers were: Sheriff Lewis Wynn, Superior Court Clerk Clark Blandford, Inferior Court Clerk Josiah W. Batchelder, Surveyor Absalom Beddell, Coroner F.A.B. Wheeler, Tax Receiver Burrell Blackmon, Tax Collector John D. Johnson.