Pine Mountain Scenic Highway & this bridge, spanning historic King's Gap, are living monuments to President Roosevelt's abiding interest in the natural features of Warm Springs' environs. He, personally, selected the location of this road atop Pine Mtn. & with Federal funds available, forwarded construction.
King's Gap, a natural break in the Pine Mtn. barrier, was the site of an early settlement on the stage route between Newnan & Columbus. King's Gap Post Office functioned from May 16, 1829 to October 7, 1856. Bridge and Scenic Highway were built, 1934-1938.