Comstock Historical Marker No. 8
— 26 South B Street, Virginia City, NV —Storey County was organized in 1860 and is named after Captain Edward Storey who was killed during the Pyramid Lake Indian wars in Nevada. The prior courthouse erected on this site was destroyed in the Great Fire of October 26, 1875, that also burned many of Virginia City's early documents. Storey County hired the architectural firm of Kenitzer and Raum of San Francisco to design the replacement. Work began in 1876 by contractor Peter Burke, and was finished in 1877 at a cost of $117,000.00. The courthouse also served as headquarters for the Storey County Sheriff's Office until 1992 when a new facility was built on State Route 341, about a ? mile from this site. This building is one of two nineteenth century courthouses in Nevada still serving county government. It currently houses the Clerk Treasurer, Assessor, Comptroller, Recorder, County Manager and the County Commissioners.
|Placed By||Walling and Wyble Families, Virginia City, Nevada|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, October 17th, 2014 at 9:54pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||11S E 271497 N 4354588|
|Decimal Degrees||39.31055000, -119.65028333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 18.633', W 119° 39.017'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 18' 37.98" N, 119° 39' 1.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 70-74 B St, Virginia City NV 89440, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.