Registered Michigan Historic SiteThis marks the site of the southwest bastion of Fort Lernoult. It was here, on July 11, 1796, that the American flag was first flown over Detroit. the fort was built by the British in 1778-79 to protect Detroit against possible attack by George Rogers Clark and the American army. Overlooking the stockaded village and named for its commander, Richard B. Lernoult, the fort controlled river traffic and land routes. The fort was not attacked during the American Revolution. However, it was then the foremost British military post in the West, a base for Indian raids against American frontier settlements, and a guardian of the rich fur trade. Although the peace treaty of 1783 gave Michigan to the United States, the British did not evacuate the fort until 1796. In 1812, Fort Lernoult was surrendered to the British, but was regained by the Americans in 1813 and re-named Fort Shelby. The last troops were removed in 1826. The fort was leveled in the next two or three years.
|Series||This marker is part of the Michigan: Michigan Historical Commission series|
|Placed By||Michigan Historical Commission Registered Site|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, September 5th, 2014 at 7:47pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 331207 N 4688436|
|Decimal Degrees||42.32988333, -83.04870000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 19.793', W 83° 2.922'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 19' 47.58" N, 83° 2' 55.32" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||313, 586, 734, 248|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 625 Shelby St, Detroit MI 48226, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.