John De La Howe School

John De La Howe School (HMDRK)

Location: McCormick, SC 29835 McCormick County
Country: United States of America

N 33° 57.3', W 82° 25.433'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 330 views
Inscription

Still Caring...Still Dreaming

The establishment of John de la Howe School, the second oldest institution in the Carolinas, is one of the first examples of individual philanthropy that is found in the history of child-caring institution in the United States. The purpose of Dr. de la Howe's gift was to help dependent and neglected children, Founded in 1797 at the passing of the Dr. John de la Howe, an emigre from either "the north of France, or Holland, or perhaps Flanders," the John de la Howe School still stands as a place where children from throughout the state of South Carolina come to learn basic life skills and behaviors.

Origins of the School
Dr. de la Howe's concept came from an article in the April 1787 Columbia Magazine. In his will, Dr. de la Howe bequeaths his real and personal estate to the President and Agriculture Society of South Carolina in trust for the purpose of having the school established as proposed in this article. The benefactors of the school would be twelve boys and twelve girls whose parents or who themselves have resided in Abbeville County (now McCormick County).

The Establishment of the Industrial School
In 1918, the General Assembly, upon the recommendation of the Board of Trustees, converted Lethe into a new state agency accountable to the legislature. Shortly thereafter the school's name was changed to John de la Howe Industrial School. Even at this point the old manual labor idea was still the guiding principle, and the mission and spirit continues to inspire those who work here. The dreams of John de la Howe, and many others over the generations continued into the 21st century.

John de la Howe's Life
De la Howe's dream began, many years prior to his death. He immigrated to Charleston in the spring of 1764. In 1768 he received a grant of 400 acres near the Long Cane Settlement, and in the late summer of 1774, he established residence at Lethe Farm in Long Cane. Between 1774 and 1785 he continued to acquire land in the same area. In the late summer of 1785, Dr. de la Howe returned to Lethe Farm. De. de la Howe died in 1797 and is buried according to specific directions in his will. His tomb is near the original site of the school.
Details
HM NumberHMDRK
Series This marker is part of the South Carolina: South Carolina Heritage Corridor series
Tags
Placed BySouth Carolina Heritage Corridor
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Monday, September 1st, 2014 at 3:35pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)17S E 368433 N 3758079
Decimal Degrees33.95500000, -82.42388333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 33° 57.3', W 82° 25.433'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds33° 57' 18.00" N, 82° 25' 25.98" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)864, 803
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 16000 Gettys Rd, McCormick SC 29835, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What historical period does the marker represent?
  2. What historical place does the marker represent?
  3. What type of marker is it?
  4. What class is the marker?
  5. What style is the marker?
  6. Does the marker have a number?
  7. What year was the marker erected?
  8. This marker needs at least one picture.
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?