Newcom Tavern, one of Dayton's original dwellings, stood here in Van Cleve Park for much of its storied past. After leading a party of original Dayton settlers, George Newcom constructed his home in 1796 at the corner of Main and Monument, where it became the center of activity. Through the early 1800's, it served as an inn, a church, the schoolhouse, the post office, council chambers, a courtroom, the jail, and, during the War of 1812, army quartermaster headquarters. After the war, Newcom sold the tavern, and in 1838 it was converted to a general store that stayed in business until 1894. At that time, its logs and historical significance long since covered by clapboard siding, the tavern faced demolition. When the clapboard was removed, revealing the logs beneath, the tavern was saved. As part of Dayton's centennial celebration in 1896, it was moved to Van Cleve Park and converted to a museum displaying Dayton's history. There it withstood the brunt of the 1913 flood better than many of the modern buildings. In 1964, the tavern was again moved, this time to Carillon Historical Park. The pavilions on either side of the RiverScape plaza recall the tavern's years in Van Cleve Park.