After ten years of planning, community leaders of Prescott finally raised sufficient funds to build a modern hotel which catered to the "auto tourist" in downtown Prescott — The Hassayampa Inn. On February 28, 1927, at the site of the former Conner Hotel which burned in 1923, ground was broken for the construction of Prescott's first "community" hotel. Designed by Trost and Trost of El Paso in collaboration with Prescott architect Chris Totten, the Mission/Spanish Revival style hotel was built by Ramey Brothers, also of El Paso, and opened November 20, 1927. On that day, the Prescott Journal-Miner described the Hassayampa Inn as follows: "The building itself has more the appearance of a palatial home than a hotel. of modified Spanish architecture, it differs refreshingly from the accepted stucco type, in its walls of ruffled brick in shades of deep red and blue, which catch and reflect the sunshine in rainbow tints. The trim is of white, with plaster medallions set at intervals along the top and a white wainscoting on the garden side. Cornices of Arizona Copper gleam in the sun." The Hassayampa Inn was listed in the National Register in 1979 and restored in the late 1980s.