Bristoe Station Battlefield Heritage Park is one of Prince William County's most treasured open spaces. This peaceful landscape features over 2.7 miles of walking and equestrian trails. Wildlife abounds in the fields, woods and ponds. Evidence of people who occupied this land remains in the park's road traces, buildings, and cemeteries.
This land endured significant military activity during the Civil War. Soldiers camped here in 1861 and 1862. Federal and Confederate armies clashed here at the Battle of Kettle Run on August 27, 1862 when Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson's Confederate forces raided Federal supplies at Manassas Junction. Gen. Joseph Hooker's Federal troops attacked Jackson's rear guard, led by Gen. Richard Ewell, along Kettle Run. Ewell's troops fought Hooker's men then withdrew. On August 28-30, Ewell's forces faced Federal troops again during Second Manassas.
Bury these poor men and let us say no more about it.
In October and November 1863, Gen. Robert E. Lee's Confederate army and Maj. Gen. George Meade's Federal forces fought a series of battles known as the Bristoe Campaign. The October 14, 1863 Battle of Bristoe Station was one of these battles. Here, Lt. Gen. A.P. Hill's Confederate corps stumbled upon Gen. Gouvenor Warren's Federal troops posted at the Orange & Alexandria railroad. The Federals fiercely defended their position, inflicted heavy Confederate casualties and captured a battery of Confederate artillery. Hill's defeat effectively halted Lee's Bristoe offensive.
In 2000, Centex Homes purchased this land. Two years later, Centex Homes developed New Bristow Village and gave the battlefield parcel to the Civil War Preservation Trust. Prince William County acquired the 133-acre site in 2007. This park demonstrates how developers, residents, preservationists and local governments can work together to save historic resources.