Adairsville had its beginning in Oothcaloga Valley, two miles north of the present site. It was named for Cherokee Indian Chief John Adair, the son of a Scottish trader and a Cherokee Princess.Chief John Adair - Born 1790's
Adairsville moved in 1848 to Adair Station (established 1846 by William Watts) but kept the name Adairsville, honoring the Indian Chief.
The Battle of Adairsville, sometimes known as the "Gravel House Battle" was fought May 17, 1864.
Adairsville was entered in the National Register of Historic Places Dec. 4, 1987. The nomination was prepared by the Sans Souci Club's Historical Committee: Lois S. Adams, Chairman, Carol T. Adams, Ovelle P. Barton, Odella R. Hayes, Martha K. Johnson, & Pansy O. Penfield.
Adsirsville Incorporated in 1854
Great Locomotive Chase - April 12, 1862