This site and the one directly in front, Mineral Spring Park, which was donated by West Allen Williams in 1842, formed the nucleus for the new Town of Mineral Springs. In 1852, the town received its charter and the name was changed to Williamston in honor of West Allen Williams.Marion W. Middleton, Mayor
The Williamston Hotel was built on this site and in the late 1850's, the Mammoth Hotel was built as a cost of $100,000 which was an enormous sum of money them. It was the largest building in the state at the time of its construction. Both of these structures burned in 1860 and all of Williamston's business district was laid waste except Dr. Millwee's Drug Store and an old blacksmith shop.
In 1872, Dr. Samuel Lander, a Methodist minister, founded and built the Williamston Female College on this site. The college was moved to Greenwood in 1904 and named Lander College in honor of its founder who died six month before the opening there.
The building later became the Park View Hotel. After it closed, it was converted into an elementary school in 1924. The present building was constructed as Williamston High School in 1939 by WPA labor and the other building was town down in 1940.
In 1953, Palmetto High School was built and this building became Williamston Elementary School. When Palmetto Middle School was formed in 1972, it became Williamston Primary School and remained as such until 1983 when all students were moved to the new Palmetto Primary School. The property and building were then purchased by the Town of Williamston. Dr. Samuel Lander's son, Dr. W.T. Lander taught at Lander College and his grandson, Dr. W.T. Lander, Jr. was principle of Williamston Middle School
Harold J. Mackey, Ward One; James R. Rogers, Ward Two
David Roberts, Ward Three; Wade L. Pepper, Ward Four
Frances C. Adams, Clerk & Treasurer