Military Prison CampIn 1861 the United States Army established a prisoner of war camp on Johnson's Island, approximately 1 mile south of this point. The camp, which housed captured Confederate officers, was maintained until 1865 when it was dismantled. The camp cemetery contains the graves of 206 men who died as a result of disease, wounds or by execution while incarcerated.
|Series||This marker is part of the National Historic Landmarks series, and the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series.|
|Placed By||The Ottawa County Historical Society and the Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 1:00am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 355341 N 4597322|
|Decimal Degrees||41.51448333, -82.73356667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 30.869', W 82° 44.014'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 30' 52.14" N, 82° 44' 0.84" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||419, 567|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2035 Gaydos Dr, Lakeside Marblehead OH 43440, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.