" Some houses are built entirely of brick, someof brick and wood, some few of tappy-work; butmost of the meaner sort of wood only." London Magazine 1745
When Frederica was established in 1736, eachfreeholder was given a lot 60 foot wide by 90feet deep. For temporary shelter, settlers builthuts covered with palmetto leaves, giving theplace the look of a camp.
John Humble, a laborer and boat pilot, was theoriginal owner of this lot. His wife died in 1736,shortly after he arrived, but he remarried the same year. Humble died in 1740, having builtnothing more than a hut here.
Dr. Frederick Holzendorf, a surgeon to theregiment, purchased this lot in 1743. Thefoundation may be the remains of a two- storytabby house built by Dr. Holzendorf sometimeafter 1743, and later rebuilt.