— ( Jekyll Island Club, 1886-1942 ) —
There is very little photo documentation ofexactly what the Boathouse looked like duringthe Club era. Club members rarely would havebeen found in this area, It was typically usedby year-round employees.
The only visible evidence of the Boathouse isa few piers and the capstan winch. The capstanwas used to pull boats and launches from the water into the boathouse. Ropes were fed in thegroove along the circumference of the metalwheel. Handles were inserted in the four square sections on the top of the capstan. The handleswere pushed or pulled manually by people, ordriven by an electric motor.
The boats could be repaired once pulled out ofthe water. Many of the smaller boats were storedin the Boathouse during the off-season.(Right text) The Boat House
The Club not only altered the landscapedirectly around the Clubhouse, but aroundthe entire island. Outside that 240 acresthere are several other sites that reflectactivities of the Club and its members.
Here along the river is the site of theBoathouse, where the Club launches werestored when not in use.
Boats and launches were the lifeline to themainland. Passengers and goods were brought to the island from Brunswick daily,and great care was taken to ensure that the launches were in good order for thisvital job.
Throughout the Club era there were severalboats that supplied the island and transportedmembers. The first steamer was called the Howland.
Other vessels used throughoutthe years were called the Jekyll Island,